Saturday, June 9, 2012

This one is for Paga

My grandfather, Harry, died in April, after a long illness. To my sisters and me, he was always just Paga. Paga was just about the most generous, big-hearted, loving man I ever met. If he didn't have a smile on his face, then he had a camera in front of it. I learned a lot from my grandfather - his love of music, enthusiasm for traveling, his fierce loyalty for his family. 


And as it turns out, Paga was also quite the adventurous cook. This is the one recipe that he contributed to our family cookbook many years. If you make it, please do let us know what you think.


Elephant Stew

1 elephant
Salt and Pepper
2 rabbits (optional)

Dice elephant into small pieces. This should take about two months. Add enough brown gravy to cover, and season. Cook over kerosene stove about four weeks at 465 degrees. This will serve 3800 people. If more are expected, 2 rabbits may be added, but only if necessary, because most people do not like to find hares in their stew.       


- Paga’s favorite recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment